Cook County OMFS participates in PASS/MATCH and has two resident and one internship positions available each year.
Update May 2012 ***The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) has modified its position related to taking the NBME CBSE (Comprehensive Basic Science Examination) for application to OMFS residency training programs. Here are the current recommendations:
1. The NBME CBSE is MANDATORY for any applicant who challenged, or will challenge, NBDE Part I after January 1, 2012, and receive(d) a PASS score (without a numerical value).
2. The NBME CBSE is OPTIONALfor those applicants who RECEIVED a numerical score on NBDE Part I. For example, if your NBDE Part I numerical score is low, a good performance on the NBME CBSE may improve your application in the area of standardized scores.
Follow the steps below to be considered for a residency position at Cook County Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery:
1) Cook County OMFS has no additional application form in addition to PASS, but a $45.00 application fee is required made payable to "Hektoen Institute - Fund #04099"
2) Submit an application through the American Dental Education Association through the ADEA PASS website.
3) Send the following directly to our department:
a) 2x2 inch photo of applicant
b) Official Dental School Transcript
c) Official Undergraduate (Pre-Dental) Transcript
4) Submit the following to ADEA PASS
a) Official Dental School Transcript
b) Official NBDE scores Part I, and Part II if applicable
c) Three letters of recommendation.
5) Meet the following requirements:
a) Must have passed Part I, National Dental Board Examination with a competitive score
b) Must be a graduate of a U.S. or Canadian dental school.
c) Must be proficient in the English language.
d) Must report postdoctoral Dental Match Program Code in PASS application.
Prior to enrollment in the program you:
a) Must have passed Parts I and II, National Dental Board Examination.
b) Must have earned a D.M.D/D.D.S. degree, or equivalent.
c) Must be eligible for state dental license. Temporary or permanent Illinois license is required.
John Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Attn: Dr. Henry Fung
RE: Residency Application
1900 W. Polk St, Ste. 611
Chicago, IL 60612
Phone: (312) 864-0378
Fax: (312) 864-9762